National Trade Facilitation Specialist (01 position)
Updated on : 11-04-2017
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
National Trade Facilitation Specialist
Background to the assignment
The Second Trade Development Facility (TDF-2) is a multi-donor program financed by Australia, the European Union, Germany, Ireland and the World Bank focusing on improving trade and private sector development in Lao PDR. The development objective of the TDF-2, which is implemented by the Ministry of Industry and Commerce, is to support the implementation of government’s trade and integration priorities outlined in the 2012 Diagnostic Trade Integration Study (DTIS) Roadmap, and in particular to contribute to improved competitiveness and diversification, focusing outside the natural resource sectors. TDF-2 has three main components
(a) trade facilitation, trade policy and regulations;
(b) diversification and competitiveness; and,
(c) mainstreaming aid for trade.
The appraised value of the project is US$ 14.0 million, with implementation to take place over a period of four years, starting in April 2013. Technical responsibility for implementation of the Trade Development Facility lies with the National Implementation Unit (NIU), based within the Planning and Cooperation Department of the Ministry of Industry and Commerce.
Objective of the assignment
The objective of the assignment for the National Trade Facilitation Analyst is to support the National Trade Facilitation Secretariat of the TDF-2 of the Lao PDR Ministry of Industry and Commerce. The main responsibilities of the consultants include:
- Managing the implementation of the different activities related to the Lao PDR National Trade Facilitation Strategy (NTFS) and Action Plan;
- Helping in coordination between DIMEX, other relevant government agencies/ministries, and relevant donor and development agencies in the design and implementation of the TDF-2 NTFS Action Plan;
- Dissemination of work on NTFS Action Plan to interested parties, including the private sector.
Key qualification requirements
- Minimum Bachelor degree in law, economics, business, public policy, political science, international relations, or related discipline.
- Minimum two years working experience in an international/multinational organization or in the government/public sector on an international project or in trade facilitation/related area.
- Knowledge of work with/in government organizations, in particular in connection with the public sector is an asset.
- Knowledge of customs policy and non-customs procedures (e.g. SPS, transport, etc) is an asset.
- Fluency in Lao and English are mandatory (spoken and written). Strong interpersonal skills to facilitate dialogue with various government agencies, engage with senior and technical staff, and the private sector.
- Ability to work in a team and have good communication skills.
- Willing to work alongside and assist national counterparts in a practical and proactive way.
- Sound policy development and research skills are an asset.
This assignment is designed for a full-time engagement over a period of 2 years with annual contract extensions subject to satisfactory performance. There is an initial probation period of three (3) months. The majority of inputs will be delivered in Vientiane, Lao PDR working alongside government officials. The expected commencement of services is expected as soon as possible.The full text of the ToR can be accessed at the NIU’s website: www.t4dlaos.org
The NIU now invites interested eligible consultants to provide information indicating that you are qualified to perform the services (curriculum vitae with expression of interest and references). Interested consultants may obtain further information at the address below. Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) by 21st April 2017, 16:00 o’clock.
Attn: Mr. Phouvieng Phongsa, NIU Director, CC: Mr. Keophouthone Inthivong, Procurement Officer. Ministry of Industry and Commerce, National Implementation Unit (NIU), Ban Phonxay, Xaysettha District, Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR. Tel: +856 (21) 41 39 16 – 45 39 82; Fax: +856 (21) 41 39 16
Note: Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.